Everything You Need to Know About the Commercial Roof Replacement Process
You’ve heard the old verbiage “all good things come to and end.” And unfortunately, this applies to your business’ roofs.
Before you invest in a new membrane, however, it’s important to understand all aspects of the commercial roof replacement process. Here’s what you need to know to make educated, informed decisions about the direction of your business.
Parts of the Commercial Roof Replacement Process
When it’s time to replace your commercial roof, the first step is an inspection and assessment of your current roofing system. During this stage, experts:
- Visit your facility, and assess the extent of damage
- Identify problem areas and possible solutions
- Figure out what type of materials suit your building the best
From there, professional contractors will:
- Salvage any areas still in good condition
- For minor damages, they’ll combat the damage with patchwork
- Tear out your old membrane and replace it with a new one (if the damage is severe)
- Conduct tasks to improve the longevity of your new roof (waterproofing, gap sealing, etc.)
Just remember, all parties should be kept informed of any changes to the project timeline, budget, materials used, and other information. This includes the roofing contractor, architects, engineers, building owners, property managers, and other relevant personnel.
Understanding the Typical Timelines for Commercial Flat Roof Replacements
The timeline for completing a full commercial roof replacement project depends heavily on the size and complexity of the project itself. Generally speaking, large projects can take anywhere from three to six weeks from start to finish while smaller projects are usually completed within two weeks or less.
However, it’s important to note inclement weather can also delay your project timeline. To avoid these issues, it’s best to plan ahead and consult with a knowledgeable contractor who is familiar with local weather patterns. By taking proactive steps and conducting thorough research, you’ll be able to stay ahead of costly delays.
At Floridian Roofing and Solar, our process for a commercial roof replacement includes a thorough inspection, determining the water flow strategy, and replacing the roof. Our team has more than 20 years of experience in the roofing industry and aims to complete each project in one week.
Types of Materials Available for Replacing Your Roof
When choosing a new roofing material, there are several options available.
- Metal Roofs: Metal roofs are popular choices due to their durability and longevity; however they tend to be more expensive compared to other types of materials.
- Shingles: Asphalt shingles are more affordable but not quite as long-lasting.
- Green Roofs: Eco-friendly roofing systems are becoming increasingly popular due to their energy efficiency and ability to reduce air pollution levels.
- Rubber/Plastic Membranes: For commercial building with a flat roof, synthetic membranes like EPDM and TPO are a popular choice thanks to their longevity.
In addition to narrowing down your material options, consider the following logistic factors:
Durability: First and foremost, the material should be able to stand up to the climate and weather conditions in Florida. This includes having the ability to resist damage from high winds, torrential rains, intense heat, and humidity.
Longevity: Additionally, it is important to choose a material that has a long life expectancy and that is easy to maintain. The cost of materials should also be taken into consideration, as well as the overall cost of installation.
Appearance: It’s also important to factor in the aesthetic appeal of the chosen material and how it will look on your commercial building. With careful consideration and research, you can make an informed decision about the best roofing material for your project.
Average Cost of Commercial Roof Replacement
When it comes to a commercial roof replacement project, the cost can vary significantly depending on a variety of factors. The average cost of a commercial roof replacement project is typically around $7.50 to $10.50 per square foot, but this number can be higher or lower depending on:
- Size and complexity of the project
- Age and condition of the existing roof
- Type of material chosen
- Local labor rates
- Addition of insulation or ventilation systems
- Site accessibility
- State building codes
Taking the time to understand these factors and how they may affect the overall cost of the project is essential for any decision maker considering a commercial roof replacement. This will help ensure that the right decisions are made to get the best possible outcome for both budget and performance.
Your One-Stop Shop in the Commercial Roof Replacement Process
As Jacksonville’s trusted partner for both large-scale and small-scale roofing projects, our experts help you make educated, informed decisions about what works best for your business. Start a conversation to learn more about the commercial roof replacement process, or schedule a free consultation today.
Share This Post
Floridian Roofing & Solar is a full-service provider of commercial and residential roofing services. We use our 20 years of experience to put a durable roof over your head.