The Importance of Roof Inspections and Why You Shouldn’t Skip Them
As the primary form of protection against harsh elements like rain, hail, UV exposure, and extreme temperatures, maintaining a functional roof should be a top priority for businesses and homeowners. However, the importance of roof inspections often goes overlooked, with many people neglecting the condition of their commercial and residential roofs until a disaster strikes, costing them tens of thousands of dollars in damages. Thankfully, roofing specialists can perform routine inspections that spot problems before they manifest, saving you money and maintaining general comfort.
Read on to learn the importance of roof inspections and why you should schedule one. This article highlights the following topics:
What’s the Importance of a Roof Inspection?
Annual inspections are necessary because they allow contractors to identify and prevent emerging issues from negatively impacting your roof—and in turn, your home or business. A functioning roof is essential for protecting your facility from external threats and structural issues that threaten the safety of inhabitants and result in costly repairs. With regular inspections, roofing contractors can ensure that it lasts as long as possible and provides maximum protection from the elements.
Why You Shouldn’t Skip an Annual Roof Inspection
While the importance of roof inspections can’t be stated enough, many people still wonder if they can get away with skipping them for a year or two. During the roof inspection process, contractors check for signs of distress that could develop into more serious issues over time, but skipping an inspection—or many—causes lingering problems to worsen until it’s too late. Here are some of the most common reasons you shouldn’t ignore your next roof inspection.
The importance of roof inspections is never more apparent than when your roof is sagging, melting, or shifting over your head. A roof with structural issues poses a major threat to the well-being of you and your facility. Without immediate repairs or a replacement, you risk succumbing to severe damage.
Excessive moisture caused by undetected leaks can cause bacteria and mold to grow on the exterior or interior of your roof—especially within humid regions. If left untreated, mold can cause health issues for people within a building, including asthma, allergies, and more.
Leaks are some of the most common issues found during roof inspections, and if they aren’t patched and repaired, they can cause significant damage. Wet materials can soften and warp, causing accelerated deterioration of your roof’s structural integrity. Additionally, leaks that progress beyond the roof can cause ceiling stains, discoloration, and interior damage to flooring, furniture, and electronics.
Faulty Gutter and Downspout Systems
Gutters and downspouts can rust, become clogged, and come loose due to weathering. Typically, a roof inspector would notice problems with your building’s gutters and fix them quickly, but by skipping your inspection, they cannot properly divert water away from your facility. A buildup of moisture can negatively impact the foundation of your building.
Damaged Roofing Materials
It’s common to have weathered roofing materials after years of aging and withstanding storm damage. Still, unless you’re a professional roofer, it can be challenging to understand how badly your roofing materials have depreciated. Because experts know the importance of roof inspections, they assess damaged materials on a deeper level than your average homeowner might. Inspectors may check for cracked shingles, small penetrations in commercial roofing, warped or melted materials, dents, and more to reach a conclusion.
Many types of roofs are available for commercial and residential buildings, allowing you to choose the optimal material for your needs. Learn more about the various kinds to determine which material and style is best for your facility.
7 Benefits of Annual Roof Inspections
Scheduling annual inspections for your residential or commercial roof provides various advantages for your home or business. Here are seven benefits of scheduling consistent roof inspections.
- Early Detection: Regular roof inspections detect problems early and allow maintenance teams to resolve issues before they can progress.
- Saves Money: Catching small issues may require minor fixing costs, but they are much cheaper than major roof repairs or replacements.
- Provides Peace of Mind: Knowing your roof is safe and won’t spring any major leaks brings peace to homeowners and business owners alike.
- Improves Longevity: With proper maintenance and routine inspections, roofs can last anywhere from 15-25 years on average, while untreated issues can leave a roof unusable in only a matter of years.
- Protects Your Interior: A roof free of holes and leaks protects your building’s interior from water damage and other unwanted problems.
- Increases Safety: In worse-case scenarios, mold, wet electrical wiring, and sagging roofs pose serious safety threats, but annual inspections can prevent these ailments.
- Prepares You for a Replacement: Annual inspections can provide insight into approximately how long your roof has left before a replacement is required, giving you plenty of time to prepare.
When Should You Get a Roof Inspection?
Most residential and commercial roofs should be inspected at least once a year, although you may need to schedule biannual inspections if you live in an area with harsh weather conditions. Aside from regularly scheduled roof inspections, there are a few other circumstances that would require you to contact a roofing professional, such as:
- Discovering a leak or other form of roof damage
- Purchasing a new home or building
- Preparing for seasonal storms that may cause snow or hurricane roof damage
- Experiencing a harsh storm such as high winds, hail, rain, and snow
- Planning to sell or finance a property
- Being asked to schedule an inspection from your insurance company
If any of these reasons stick out to you and you believe it’s time to get your roof inspected, you’re going to need a professional—that’s where Floridian Roofing and Solar can help.
Get Your Roof Inspected With Floridian Roofing and Solar
At Floridian Roofing and Solar, we understand the importance of roof inspections. Our team of certified roofing experts helps clients of the greater Jacksonville, Florida, area with all their roofing needs, including residential and commercial roof inspections, replacements, preventative maintenance, installation, and repairs.
Now that you know the importance of roof inspections and their role in protecting your home or business, contact us today to schedule a free inspection.
Share This Post
Floridian Roofing & Solar is a full-service provider of commercial and residential roofing services. We use our 20 years of experience to put a durable roof over your head.